Saturday 13 July 2013

Mad For Garlic Review (Food Wine @ Suntec New Wing)

Update 9 Jan 2014:  Went to eat their Garlic pizza again yesterday for dinner.  Somehow, it's not as nice as before.  Was it because the Indian waiter put too little cheese shavings when serving? As I considered, it seems less sweet than before, as though the chef skimmed on the pizza sauce? Or skimmed on the sweet garlic pieces? In any case, something was less.

The crust was however, still excellent and very nicely crispy and flavorful.

I ate half plate (about 6 pieces) and didn't want to take home the rest.  Take-away will just ruin the crust and taste.

I asked the Filipino woman manager if the chef was the same. She said yes. "Everything the same?" I asked. She again said yes.

Hmmm.... (did my taste change?)

She was as puzzled as I, said she will check with the kitchen later. At the end, thanked me for the feedback.

She also gave us a 40% New Year voucher (pretty surprised it's 40%) to be used for next visit.
-----------------

Update 16 July Tues:  Yesterday ate the Banana Chocolate Pizza and BBQ Ranch Chicken Pizza. Bro said his BBQ pizza was a little too salty while I found the BBQ sauce a little sourish (as BBQ sauces tend to be although this was less so). The Banana Choc Pizza was nice, the chocolate sauce is perfect. I was surprised to see a few garlic pieces in there, but couldn't taste them at all (they were marinated).

Overall, I still prefer the Spicy Cream Chicken Pizza and Chicken Mushroom Risotto of the previous time.

A tad of a pity that the floor staff are Filipinos with the Asst Manager being rather insincere and lacked knowledge.
------------------

My compliments to your chef/s.
Excellent. 5/5. 10/10. 100/100.  The most perfect food and drinks in an SG restaurant.

Service: Good.

Day/Time of visit: Sat 13 July/ Evening

Lovely ambience, lovely place. 

I had the Grilled Chicken and Mushroom Risotto $22.50. Bro had the Spicy Cream Chicken Pizza $21.40. For DBS/POSB card, just pay additional $12 to get their dessert and 2 Signature Ade drinks and a $10 return voucher!

I chose Garlic Berry ice cream and Yujaade; Bro chose Lemonade.

Total cost = $65.80

The most excellent meal I have ever eaten. Drinks were perfectly done.

Bro said his Lemonade was sour but a nice sour.  I liked my Yujaade which is a citrus drink that was nice and just slightly bitter because it's Yuzu (I didn't try bro's lemonade since he said it's too sour for my stomach to take and denied me it).  I asked, but it's not possible to change to other drinks besides their Signature ade drinks which are all citrus.

Later, inspired by the Yujaade, I bought Yuzu peel fresh drink in a carton from NTUC and found that the Yujaade is superior with better taste and flavor and less bitter.

The Spicy Cream Chicken Pizza was very paper thin. The cream is perfect and the pizza base is soft (impossible to pick up with fingers). Amazing the sauce doesn't seep through (the pizza base is not soggy). Excellent taste and flavor, just the right amount of ingredients! Bro said it doesn't look nice but tastes great (on arrival, it looked wet with few ingredients and a few sprigs of spring onion).

My Risotto was perfect! Lots of mushrooms in the lovely soft rice. Topped with perfectly grilled lean chicken slices. Bro said it's the first time I eat the plate so clean.  Unfortunately, I was unable to finish just the last spoonful (too full already). ^_^  I had wanted to wait a bit to continue eating, but I placed my cutlery in such a way that it signalled I was done, so the waitress removed it after we asked for the dessert to be brought. No matter, I was really too full anyway.

The Garlic Berry ice cream was lovely also.  On first thought, it doesn't seem as if Garlic and ice cream can go together. But it is actually Garlic Berry and ice cream.  The ice cream is vanilla flavor and the sweet garlic pieces are at the bottom with a surrounding of raspberry-blueberry sauce (with berries that look like red bean). 

Their garlic in horizontal halves are marinated in sweetness/syrup.  So the taste isn't that strong but still there if you can taste it.  Bro couldn't taste it and just ate it like any other ice cream. I could taste it when eating a garlic piece alone and had to "wash" it down with the ice cream. ^_^ Still, a lovely, perfect dessert.

On exit at the cashier, I asked where the restaurant was based. The cashier said Korea. So this is a Korean concept? Yes, she replied.

Amazing. Korean? Not Italian at all?

We will be back. I want to try the Banana Chocolate Pizza next time!

Unfortunately, bro and myself are not wine people. So, can't comment on their vast-looking collection of bottles.  But I'm sure their wine is delicious too.

The location is not difficult to find, although it is a little deep in.

According to their website, they just opened @ Suntec on 1 July! From this post, only 12 days ago!
http://www.madforgarlic.com.sg/



No comments: