Saturday 22 November 2014

ALT Pizza Suntec (Review)


Service excellent.   But...

While walking out the 2nd time we ate there... Thurs night. 

Me:  Ok. that's it. We won't be going back. This is the 2nd chance.
Bro (surprised): Not going back?
Me: No. Already 2nd chance. How many points you give?
Bro: 3.
Me: Even less than yesterday. Yesterday you gave 4. Yeah, this time is worse. Yesterday I gave 3, today they fail.

Never get a boy to do a man's job in making pizzas.

1) Nobody in the online reviews mentioned that the pizzas have burnt bottoms. Not totally burnt but there are burnt areas that I needed to scrape off.  Annoying.

2) I haven't come across a pizza that has ingredients to match the area of dough. ALT is no different.  Too few ingredients spread over the pizza. Too dry. I taste more dry dough than the ingredients. For pizza, you cannot stinge on the amount of ingredients.

3) The pizzas became cold very fast after only the 1st piece.


Wed about 6.20pm: C-food Pie pizza with add-on Chipotle Chicken + Cappucino + 8 pc wings = $49.45.

Thurs night about 8.15pm: Truffle Shuffle pizza + 1 Chamomile cup. $21.06.  

Bro said the cappucino was weak. "illy" brand of cup. "illy" brand of coffee? I took a sip. Yeah, it's like water. Worse than MacD's caramel macchiato (that I always complain tastes burnt at ARC).

The 8 pc wings. Bro said so damn salty. I agree. I think they were marinated with BBQ sauce, too much and for too long?  No special taste. Just... wings with a too strong & salty smoky BBQ flavor. The staff was generous with the 2 dip sauces that came with it. Mayo & a tangy chilli. The latter went better with the smoky BBQ flavor of the wings. The dips were actually useless with wings that tasted too strong on their own.

As mentioned in the points above, the C-food Pie pizza was somewhat burnt beneath. The shrimp was fresh & bouncy. Overall passable. Other than the shrimp, there didn't seem to be anything else significant to the taste buds.

The next day, we returned at night (Thurs) because I was craving for ALT pizza when I saw the lousy-looking Pizza Hut pizzas that people were eating at KFC. After eating chicken at KFC, we went home, dressed then came out again to Suntec.

The Truffle Shuffle was highly recommended by online reviewers. Since there wasn't much on the menu to try, I ordered this.   Result was even worse than previous day. Dry. Few ingredients. Nothing special. Again burnt parts on the bottom, and this time burnt/black onion strips on top. Disappointment. A young man (boy) with black-rimmed glasses was at the wood oven. If he made this, he should be fired or trained to make better pizzas.

The only thing good, was the Chamomile tea. And I didn't finish it because I've tasted better at Lady M that serves in a pot.

Therefore, ALT "ah gui, ah bo ho jia" (expensive and not nice. Expensive when it's not nice.).

I don't know how all the reviewers can say that it's so great. They went there for the beer, right? And were somewhat drunk and unable to discern. Or rather, everything's good as long as there's alcohol (just like Qusumi-san in Kodoku no gurume Japanese food episodes).


In terms of service, ALT is very warm (although the staff don't say much) & considerate.

Memorable: 

There were 2 spare plates stacked at the side of the table. 

On Wed evening, Bro took a plate & removed froth from his cappucino onto it. A staff later saw the plate, removed & replaced it with a clean one.  I like.

On Thurs night, when the bald man brought the pizza, he very attentively took the top plate and put it on my side before putting the other plate at my bro's side. Very nice initiative. I like.  He's the manager or supervisor? He was there on both days. I like his soft way of speaking, his tone of voice.  He speaks softly and yet strong enough to be heard above the oldies music (sound level just right).  Very professional.  When I speak, he looks at me.   But I think he's not local. There's some slight accent to his words?

The staff are very polite, friendly, observant, attentive where it matters & unobtrusive. I don't think the customers who were laughing & drinking realize this. This type of service is almost impossible to find in Singapore.

If only their pizzas were better. 




No comments: