Saturday 20 December 2014

Grandma's Suntec City (Restaurant Review)


Excellent food. But service cold & poor.

Was there at about 4pm Wed before watching Big Hero 6 (bro & I didn't make it in time for the 4.30pm movie and subsequently watched the 6.45pm one.).

Before we ordered, the staff put a basket of Keropok (prawn crackers) on the table. Whether you like it or not, it's chargeable at $1.60. That's one of the things I didn't appreciate.

The staff didn't smile & she sounded rather rude when taking our orders. But she smiled at something I said, so that kinda saved it.  She said their lime juice drink was on offer. I didn't catch it & she repeated. I kinda shook at the "lime" part, said we'll just have the water and she smiled.

All the floor staff are very loose and need to be trained.

One female staff even tried walking past our table, pretending not to see my raised hand as I wanted to add my Gula Melaka dessert to the order.

Tried the Nasi Lemak & Gula Melaka sago dessert.

I love sago with Gula Melaka & must have it whenever a restaurant has it. Unfortunately, nobody has been able to make it right, except here at Grandma's.  It matches my memory of the first time I ate a very small cup many years ago at Doremi cafe at Yaohan when they used to have Yamaha on the topmost floor (7th or 5th?). After my organ lessons, my folks used to eat the local food at Doremi. The good old days (not too long ago) when foreigners were non-existent and nobody knew where Singapore was (before the stupidest man so far in Singapore's history took over).

Doremi sold the sago Gula Melaka in small, thin transparent cups with lids for about $1.20 or less. Can't quite recall. But the price kept increasing to $2.20 until one day the cafe closed down. Not sure if it was the management that closed them down.

That dessert was the only thing I loved and always ordered it. It was easily sold out, so by the time organ class was over, there was frequently none left.

In present time, Grandma's has brought back the flavor and taste of the sago and Gula Melaka. Very nice, almost the same as the past. Perfect @ $3.80, if I remember the price rightly. Nice big bowl of wonderfully made sago with excellent, thick Gula Melaka by the side.

The Nasi Lemak was also nice. Better than Madam Kwan's. Lovely chicken meat and excellent curry flavor. Excellent is the only word to describe it.

Bro tried the Duck Soup. He said it's sourish and thought it was the plum fruit. I said it's because of the salted cabbage (Giam Chye).  At $14.90, it was the most expensive of the 3 items we ordered.

After the movie, when bro & I were thinking what to eat for a late dinner/supper, he asked if we should go back there. I said, "No, poor service.".

For the food, maybe I might go back some other time. But the lack of proper service is discouraging.



No comments: