Sunday 26 April 2015

Pecori ペコリ卵ご飯 シンガポール Liang Court Meidi-ya Japanese Omu/Egg Rice Restaurant (review)


A pity but I've to give this a failing grade. 4/10. Bro who has eaten the worst army food & usually gives high scores, gave this 6/10 & said the chicken is too salty.

Compared to the deliciously fluffy egg of the Omu rice @ Coco Ichibanya Bugis,   Pecori's Omu rice is too disappointing & don't look like their menu photos. I would say the woman who cooked my Mentaiko Cream Omu don't know how to cook.

Don't know if the staff are really Japanese, but this is really surprising & unacceptable coming from Japanese cooks. 

Mentaiko Cream Omu rice: 

1) Egg too thick & looked strangely rubbery. Wasn't wrapped over the rice like Omu rice.
2) Egg had a slight burnt taste.
3) Some bits of burnt carbon from the pan was on my rice.
4) Rice too hard & clumpy. Very bad Japanese rice. Poorly done. Worst Japanese rice I've eaten. Even lose to Ramen Play. Small portion yet I was unable to finish. In fact, the mixture of rice, egg & sauce was awful towards the end (felt a bit sick).
5) Mentaiko cream sauce nothing special. Boring. Failed to save.
6) Very small prawns for decoration. Nothing else.
7) Price at $12.80. Expensive. Portion smaller than expected compared to menu photo.

I saw some unfinished plates on the tables. The staff could be misunderstanding that people cannot finish the rice because it's too much & so they give less, when in fact, it's the quality of the rice that's bad & that's why people don't finish it.

Free Flow of Onion Soup of the day (Sunday): Just onion strips & soup stock. Passable. Bro had 2nd helping while I took a sip. The stock is nice & sweet from the onions.

Bro's order was $9.80. Just a bowl of chicken karage, fries & tartar sauce. Underneath is rice. He said the rice is hard & tasteless. "The quality of the food has declined ever since the Okinawa man.". He is referring to the time before the renovation of the food stalls.

Counter service was good. Helpful in pointing out that "demi-glace" contains beef. As I asked whether the tomato sauce was sour or sweet, she gave me a small spoonful to taste. Sour. That's when I ordered Mentaiko Cream which a blogger had said it was his favourite. *rolls eyes* (although from his unintelligent looks, I doubted the Mentaiko was as "orgasmic" as he said.).

Pecori... brings to mind "peko peko"... Japanese words that mean hungry. Wonder if that's why it's called Pecori.

I read the online reviews before going to try the place. Overall, the reviewers seem to either like or don't like what they ate. Hit & miss.  Bro & I went there because we absolutely didn't know where to go for dinner that wasn't crowded.

I really miss the Okinawan man's cooking back when he used to occupy the stall just across from the cashiers. His rice was excellent of the excellent. Udon dishes were simple & also pretty good. His service & friendship towards us, his love for the food he cooked... was beyond expectation. Wherever he is, I hope he is happy with his family. I frequently wonder if he has returned to Okinawa. If he has, I hope to one day see him there. If he remembers me then, it will be a surprise to see each other again. :)






No comments: