Tuesday 12 May 2015

Kabe no Ana Japanese Pasta @ Shokutsu Ten Jurong Point (review)


When I didn't finish eating my Chicken Mozzarella Cream pasta & dabbed my lips with the paper napkin, I said, "Boring pasta.".

Since I asked him to try, Bro ate the small amount that remained & pronounced, "Nothing special.".

Luckily, he didn't order anything because he wasn't hungry after looking at the menu. He was actually hungry before looking at the menu but wasn't in the mood for pasta, pizzas or baked rice.

That was boring pasta with little pieces of chicken (not chicken cubes) at an expensive price of $13.90 without GST.

The pasta was a little too dry, resulting in some stuck pasta. The sauce wasn't enough. I was expecting something creamy or a little soupy.  I really dislike stuck pasta.

The taste is homemade. Like my own cooking. Which shouldn't be the case since this is a professional restaurant. I expect better. Why is there stuck pasta??  Even when I cook my own, my pasta is not stuck together.

I dislike paying $13.90 for pasta that's worse than my own cooking.

I doubt this was prepared by the Japanese chef (as one website said). More likely, it was done by a young punk who can't cook.

The chicken pieces too little. Pasta is cheap, so even with a passable amount of it on the plate, it's not something to rave about. When ingredients are little, the large amount of pasta can't compensate.

I have not come across a Japanese pasta restaurant that is generous with ingredients. And there isn't a Japanese restaurant that has been able to satisfactorily make western cuisine.

They should just stick to making their own Japanese food.

After ordering the pasta, I caught sight of the Iced Coffee with Coffee jelly. With some persuasion, Bro agreed to my ordering it..

Now, this Iced Coffee is very solid, very refreshing & nice. Good enough that we asked the male staff what brand of coffee they used. It's Italian espresso.  The brand?  The pronunciation of his words wasn't clear so I asked him to write the spelling. He wrote it on the piece of paper menu on my side of the table. (I'm keeping it a secret).

We also asked how the Iced Coffee was made. And the small, bitter coffee ice cubes for those who want to suck on them.

They get the coffee beans & grind them themselves. After which, they use paper filter. As for the coffee ice cubes... he said they used the "water" to make these cubes. I didn't understand what he meant by "use the water" but never mind.

At $8.80, that's pretty solid Italian espresso.  Expensive but worth paying for on a hot day. Wonder if the brand is sold in Singapore. (I've checked. No, it can't be found in SG).

Total bill = $26.72. Just 1 boring pasta & 1 drink that saved the experience. Expensive.




No comments: