Sunday 29 May 2016

Ezbuy Loses Best Service Staff


Is a Singaporean lady at Tanjong Pagar office unit "warehouse".  Her service is always beyond her job scope. I am sure those who have been collecting from her know what I mean. Ezbuy is losing its best service staff.

I didn't ask for her name even though I had many chances to.  I just feel odd to ask people their name.

This morning, the moment I woke & was thinking of the things I might need to purchase from Ezbuy, I felt very troubled & disturbed that she wasn't going to be there anymore. And that if I ordered, I would be collecting from some shitty personnel who wants me to repeat my mobile phone number all over again.

I began to worry.  I began to wonder what was this feeling. Then I put my finger on it. Anxiety.

I began to think that may be I can forgo ordering from Ezbuy for as long as possible. I can use other means of bringing in my stuff or not at all.

It may sound funny that I am making such a big deal about a counter lady staff. But the experiences over the years with Ezbuy's staff have been so bad that she is the best thing that has ever happened in this company.

Her impending departure troubles me so much that I wrote on their Facebook (update: 31 May Tues: Ezbuy completely ignored my post & deleted their whole promo thing.).


Dear Ezbuy, I feel great anxiety that my regular counter lady @ Tanjong Pagar warehouse will be leaving your employ soon. Her service has been beyond excellent whenever I collect my items. Her personal touch is warm & wonderful. Past experiences with your other staff have been so bad that I stopped ordering. Because her service is so excellent, I've been ordering from ezbuy again because collection is such a pleasure. Now I am feeling very uncertain about ordering more items from ezbuy. Afraid that the next person you put at that counter is going to be rotten. Despite any assurances from you, I am quite sure the next person will be rotten. I will miss her very much.

On Fri 27, she let me know that her last day will be on 9th of next month (June). She only mentioned it because I was complaining about the "new" guy who had pissed me off the previous day when I tried collecting & returned empty-handed.

I was saying, "If I knew it was your day off (on Thurs), I wouldn't have come to collect!".

She then said that actually, her last day would be on 9th of next month. I was so stunned with heartbreak that I couldn't speak. Took me a moment to regain myself.  This is even though I had already considered that one day, she would leave.

Still pained by the revelation, I said without looking at her, "I knew that one day you would leave. You are too good for the company.".

She said, "Oh, don't say that.".  She is very nice like that.  Always keeping customers for the company.

I have said it to her once before, & I will say it again. Such an excellent staff like her is too good for such a company as 65daigou/Ezbuy. Sooner or later, she will leave.  Ezbuy only keeps rotten China staff, which was why I stopped ordering from them some years ago (at that time, it was collection at MRT station.).

It may seem that a counter staff is unimportant. But with her, I realized that the counter staff, the last & physical end that connects with the customer, is the most important.

Even when Ezbuy messed up, her presence, her warmth, her smile & apology, always made everything better. She actually apologizes for the company!  This time, she even seriously bowed while apologizing to me about that shitty "new" guy (whom she said will in turn also be leaving (on the 11th)).

She's just amazing. Those of you who have have been collecting from her will know.

From 2 to 3pm, she's supposed to be having her lunch break. Yet, at 2.30pm, she is already back with a takeaway container of fruits to eat in the office. And this is not the first time.  A number of times, she returned earlier than she should have, to open "shop", which has benefitted customers who sometimes arrive early or drop by unexpectedly.

If by chance, you happen to be outside of those break times, you're in luck if she's around.

From 5 to 5.30pm, the office is closed. Once, I happened to arrive just after she had left. I was prepared to wait. As I rode up the escalator on one side, she was coming down just beside. However, I didn't notice until she called me while riding down, "Hey! Have you come to collect your stuff?".

At that time, I wasn't too familiar with her yet. And didn't notice her. She could have just pretended not to see me.

Surprised, I nodded.

She rode down & hurried back up on the escalator, met me outside the office & re-opened the office door. I noticed she was panting. Where can you find such staff who goes out of the way for a customer like this?

The next day or shortly after, I happened to arrive at 5.35pm. Again, intending to wait if she wasn't there.

As I walked to the office, I saw her just locking the glass door bottom about to leave. She turned in surprise to see me approaching, "You ah! So lucky!".

She re-opened the door & I was able to collect my things. :)

From that time, I think I fell in love with her. Hahaha! To be honest, she actually upset me the first time we met & talked.  That's why I kept my distance from her whenever collecting. But with every collection since then, she won over my heart.

She is always very professional, yet very warm & personal. She remembers her customers without them needing to repeat mobile numbers or IDs every time. She sets aside the regular customers' items so that when they come, she just hands it to them.

All I have to do when I walk in, is say, "You mei you?" (in Singaporean Chinese). Means, 'Have or not?' (Is it here?).

I time my collection based on her information on when the goods typically arrive at the warehouse.  She once praised me for being so perfectly timed. :) "Smart girl." she said. Hahaha...

Recently, she told me she text messaged to tell me my stuff had arrived. Unfortunately, (unknown to her) I no longer have a mobile phone.

It was because I had previously asked her if there was a phone in the office that I could call to enquire about my package arrival. She said there's no phone. "If you call, it would be to my mobile." she smiled. As I didn't want to unnecessarily impose upon her to give her number, I didn't ask for it.

Some days ago, I saw her talking to a customer on her mobile phone. She was busy because the delivery uncle Mr Tan had just arrived with a load of stuff for her.

From her frowning replies, it sounded like the customer was an idiot asking about credit points.  Such questions should be put to Ezbuy, not to her. She is only a counter staff who forwards the items to customers. Details such as credit points, she don't know.

Her rapport with people in her job is so good, even with the delivery uncle. Still on the phone listening to that idiot customer, she handed him a plastic bag of cut fruits & gestured for him to take it with him as he was leaving with the trolley. He declined but she gestured again with a frown. He took it & smiled at me to say that she was just being too kind or difficult. I assumed the bag of cut fruits was from him.

She once told me that those cardboard boxes, she gives them to an old collecting uncle who works for the building. I was wondering whether she returned them to the ezbuy's delivery men, but she said rather than return the boxes to the company, she prefers giving it to the old man for him to sell & make some money.

I thought that was kind of her.  It also implies that she does not like this Ezbuy company & does not belong to this company. Which means, all her actions & excellent service are actually from her own initiative, her own heart & personality.

A company that can keep such a worker, is a company that deserves to be taken seriously.

When she said that shitty guy would also be leaving, I asked why everyone was leaving. She smiled a little in the presence of another female customer who just entered, & said, "Maybe too stressed?". I realized she wasn't saying why she was leaving.

And I didn't ask why she was leaving but when I told bro, he raised his left hand & rubbed his fingertips together. Money.

I was also guessing that they aren't paying her enough. Or some company policy against her.

Last year, she was forced to go to China on company trip that the Ezbuy CEO was paying for. Bad trip, she starved & was ill upon returning to Singapore. Said the food was bad.

I think she's anemic because she's always looking so pale & white. Yet she's always so warm & happy in her service. She enjoys her job of interacting with customers. So, the only reason she's not staying would either be the salary or health problem.

Since she appears fine, it means it's a company problem. Plus, the shitty guy is also leaving. Bro said if it's personal problem, that guy wouldn't also be leaving at the same time.


On Fri, I had actually arrived early at 2.30pm. I knew she was out for lunch (2 to 3pm closed).

I also knew that I might catch her if she happened to returned early. True enough, as I hung around outside opposite the escalators, I saw her coming from across the restrooms area.  I raised my left hand in greeting. 

She was surprised & stopped there. Made her playful "tsk" eyes at me.  I started telling her about that horrible "new guy yesterday" while she opened the office door. She knew I was upset & right away told me to chill "babe".  I wasn't pleased with "chill babe" either, but kept quiet. 

I had a chance to tell her about that lousy guy & that's when she mentioned she was leaving.

After collecting my stuff & feeling despondent, I was about to leave but decided to head to the restroom first.

Coincidentally, when I went to the wash basin, she also came out of the cubicle & greeted me. It was after all still her break time.

I said it's very sad that she was leaving & I might not buy from Ezbuy anymore. She immediately made her usual "tsk" eyes at me & said, "Don't be like this lah. You can still buy & it will just be someone new who will get to know you just as I got to know you.".

I said Ezbuy hires shit. "Just yesterday, you weren't here & that new guy...". 

She said, "But he's actually very experienced.".

Very experienced??  When I entered, he didn't even say "Hi". Instead I was the one who greeted him.  Asked for my mobile number. Didn't even bother looking to see if my stuff had arrived. Just sat on his ass, looked at his tablet & said, "Not arrived.".  He said because I had scheduled for 5.30pm, it hadn't arrived. I said usually, it would already be here (it was already 4pm).  When I asked if he was sure my item hadn't arrived, he said "yes" & just returned to looking at the tablet or his iphone under the countertop. Didn't even talk to me properly. Didn't even bother to physically check.

I suspect my item was already there but he wouldn't check it. And I regretted that I didn't make him check it. Wasted trip causing me to return the next day (which turned out to be good because I got to talk to the regular lady & learnt she was leaving.).

Now I know his attitude is because he is leaving the job on the 11th. Or maybe he has always been like this.

She revealed that she heard that he had been late in coming to the office, causing a queue outside the door.
There you have it. It wasn't just me. This guy is problem.

Somewhere in between, I asked where she was going after quitting & she didn't reply. I realized she was also avoiding this question, just as she avoided saying why she was quitting.

As we walked out of the restroom, she said, "Truthfully, I spoil you all.".  Hahaha! I immediately smiled. Yes, she does. But she said it in such a motherly way, I wanted to laugh & cry at the same time.

She does spoil the customers. With her personal touch & warmth, she makes them feel always welcome anytime. I have even dropped by on her once just to ask a question or two.

We stood at the escalator & as I looked at her pale shoulders in her black dress, I had a strong impulse to hug her.  I still wanted to ask her name, but didn't.

She said, "Ok, see you. You'll still see me here until the 9th.".

I said, "That's if I order something before then.".

She agreed. With serious sincerity, she said, "If I don't see you then, take care.".

I laughed, saying, "Yes, bye." when in fact, I felt really, really .... disturbed & troubled inside. I don't say "take care" to people because I don't feel that people mean it seriously (although she does). 

Or maybe... I am subconsciously feeling something else from her. Is she ill?

Bro feels that I am giving her a halo. He is mistrustful of everyone.  She has in fact also been polite to him, always greeting him when we collect together. She even asks after him when he is not there with me.  But she doesn't know he's my brother.

Regardless of whether I am giving her a halo or not, the truth remains that when she leaves, Ezbuy is going to put a new person there to whom I will have to state my mobile number every time. Gone will be her personal touch.

When I complained that I have to state my number or ID every time a new person is there when she's off,  whereas I don't have to with her, she said, "That's because I know you.".

Well, I want this person who knows me to be there when I collect. Rather than an imbecile who looks at me blankly & asks for my number the moment I step in. This is not a customs check-point.

I don't want to be a new person every time I collect my items.  Understand, Ezbuy? I'm a regular customer, I want to be treated as such.


 

No comments: